Netflix CEO Says Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are ‘Overly Dismissed’

Nikesh Vaishnav
Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. I only recommend products or services that I personally use and believe will add value to my readers. Your support is appreciated!

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos thinks the public is underestimating Meghan Markle — especially following the success of her With Love, Meghan series.

“I think Meghan is underestimated in terms of her influence on culture. When we dropped the trailer for the Harry & Meghan doc series [in 2022], everything onscreen was dissected in the press for days,” Sarandos, 60, said in an interview with Variety, published on Wednesday, March 19. “The shoes she was wearing sold out all over the world. The Hermès blanket that was on the chair behind her sold out everywhere in the world. People are fascinated with Meghan Markle.”

Serandos added that Meghan, 43, and her husband, Prince Harry, are “overly dismissed,” but not by the streamer.

“We’re a passive partner in Meghan’s company, and it’s a big discovery model for us right now,” Serandos added, seemingly referring to her forthcoming lifestyle brand As Ever.

Meghan and Harry signed a deal with Netflix in 2020, initially appearing in the Harry & Meghan docuseries which premiered two years later. Late last year, Harry was named as an executive producer on the POLO reality series while Meghan stayed in front of the camera for With Love, Meghan, which debuted earlier this month.

Netflix CEO Thinks Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are Overly Dismissed

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Netflix

A source teased the show to Us Weekly exclusively in August 2024, saying that the series would “be a take on her and the joy of living.” The eight-episode miniseries offered an inside look at Meghan’s life in Montecito. While her family — Harry and kids Archie, 5, and Lilibet 3 — didn’t make an appearance, they were referenced more than once.

The family even had some moments together offscreen, at least according to a crew member.

“Whenever Harry visited set, he was always super polite and friendly. But it was clear he wanted this to be Meghan’s moment to shine,” the crew member told People in an interview published earlier this month. The insider went on to say that Meghan was “super attentive and doting” when Archie and Lilibet were on set.

With Love Meghan 3 Meghan Markle Netflix

Related: We’ve Already Watched Meghan Markle’s Netflix Show: Everything We Learned

The time has come to journey to Montecito. After much anticipation, speculation and fleeting sneak peeks, Meghan Markle‘s With Love, Meghan, drops on Netflix on Tuesday, March 4, at 3 a.m. ET — but before that, Us Weekly nabbed and watched advance screeners of all eight episodes. Here’s everything we learned from binging the Duchess […]

“We would give them headphones so they could listen to audio,” they added.

With Love Meghan Netflix CEO Thinks Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are Overly Dismissed

Meghan Markle
Jenna Peffley/Netflix

Netflix renewed With Love, Meghan for a second season, which has already finished filming. Director Michael Steed is returning, and has spoken about working alongside the Duchess of Sussex.

“For me, imperfection is a wonderful thing,” he told People. “It was fun watching her trying to get used to the kitchen, because it’s not her place, so we didn’t hide that fact, and she’s kind of walking and looking for things. I really wanted to embrace and celebrate all of the mistakes and mess and all that good stuff.”

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *